The ill-fated Gallipoli landings took place over 100 years ago and to commemorate the gallantry of the ANZAC troops who fought and died in that conflict and the other battles of the First World War, we have assembled this essential collection of music.
From the Dardenelles in Turkey to the Western Front in France, music was very important for the morale of the troops in Europe and it is a testament to their popularity that most of these songs are instantly recognisable a century later.
This collection features songs sung by the soldiers of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps, and by British and American armed forces as well. Some songs date back even further than the Great War; When Johnny Comes Marching Home was first sung in the American Civil War and Soldiers Of The King was a Boer War patriotic song. Many others were resurrected for the Second World War and have survived to this day as reminders of the patriotism and indomitable spirit of those who lived through that conflict.
Much of the music you will find here was recorded during WW1 or shortly after, but we have included some later versions of these popular songs, to ensure you can enjoy the best quality, authentic recordings.
We hope you enjoy this collection of memorable songs as a tribute to our brave fighting forces.
01. Waltzing Matilda : Peter Dawson
02. Keep The Home Fires
: Burning Buddy Clark
03. Pack Up Your Troubles : Murray Johnson
04. Mademoiselle From Armentieres
: Line Renaud
05. It's A Long Way To Tipperary
: John McCormack
06. Over There : Enrico Caruso
07. Oh Its A Lovely War : Courtland & Jeffries
08. There's A Long Long Trail
: John McCormack
09. You're In The Army Now
: Abe Lyman And His Californians
10. Roses Of Picardy : Derek Oldham
11. Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning
: Irving Berlin
12. Soldiers Of The King : Peter Dawson
13. When Johnny Comes Marching Home
: Columbia Quartet
14. Till We Meet Again : Kate Smith
15. Sister Susie's Sewing Shirts For Soldiers
: Billy Murray
16. Colonel Bogey March
: 1st Life Guards Band
17. Good Bye-Ee : Florrie Forde
18. La Madelon : Amparito Farrar
19. Rose Of No Man's Land : Henry Burr
20. The Last Post : The Military Bugler